Everything You Wanted To Know About The Band Possessed, but Were Afraid To Ask!
Possessed is a thrash/death metal band formed in 1983 in San Fransico. They are widely credited with inventing the term “Death Metal”. The band’s classic album is “Seven Churches” came out in 1985. Their subsequent albums, “Eyes Of Horror” and “Beyond The Gates”
Some Interesting Possessessed Facts:
Rather than regurgitating info on their Wikipedia page, here are some interesting facts you probably don’t know:
- Metal Blade Records passed on Possessed (even they appeared on Metal Massacre). Combat Records would later sign the band.
- Guitarist Larry Lalonde (who played on all three albums) went on to be the guitarist for Primus. Larry met Les Claypool in Blind Illusion, not long after Primus was formed.
- Possessed is credited by many for coining the term death metal, which is a song on 7 Churches.
- Jeff Becerra’s guttural vocal style is considered the first “death metal vocals” – which would later become a staple for bands like Obituary.
- The “Eyes Of Horror” LP was produced by guitar virtuoso Joe Satriani.
- Singer Jeff Becerra was shot in a robbery in 1989 and paralyzed for life.
- Jeff Becerra still performs under the name “Possessed” as the sole original member. On stage, he sings in a wheelchair.
- Larry Lalonde has been a staunch vegetarian since 1983.
Listen To The Full “7 Churches” Album Here On Youtube
7 Churches Artwork and Logo
Seven Churches Tracklist
Pentagram – 3:32
Burning In Hell – 3:07
Evil Warriors – 3:43
Seven Churches – 3:16
Satan’s Curse – 4:12
Holy Hell – 4:10
Twisted Minds – 5:10
Fallen Angel – 3:58
Death Metal – 3:12
Throwback 1985 (JEFF HANNEMAN & P)
Jeff Becerra − vocals, bass
Larry LaLonde − guitar (also the guitarist for Primus)
Mike Torrao − guitar
Mike Sus − drums
ONSLAUGHT VS POSSESSED – WHO INVENTED THE TERM “DEATH METAL”?
UK-based thrash metal band Onslaught original release “Power From Hell” had a hard-core punk sound as compared to their follow-up in 1987 “The Force“. this was mainly due to the more guttural vocal sound of original singer Paul Mahoney. In late 1985, Paul Mahoney was replaced by Sy Keeler joined the band as the new lead singer. The released “The Force” in 1986. The band has a much more Slayer-influenced sound than the early Discharge sounding material.
Listen To “Power From Hell” Full Album For Free
Sy Keeler’s vocal style was more akin to Rob Alford — a typical high-pitched 80’s singing style popular in 1985. That is why fans and critics alike consider “Power from Hell” to be superior to any of the band subsequent work band’s subsequent work.
The Death Metal Controversy
The Power From Hell LP was released in February 1985. It is disputed whether Onslaught or Possessed (San Fransisco) coined the term “Death Metal.”
Reunion In 2006
In 2005 the band reformed and continues to release albums and play shows sporadically, mostly at metal festivals in Europe
ONSLAUGHT – Power From Hell 1985 Vinyl LP Thrash Metal ORIGINAL PRESSING Combat
Side A – Death
- Damnation – 0:36
- Onslaught (Power from Hell) – 4:48
- Thermonuclear Devastation – 1:31
- Skullcrusher I – 4:39
- Lord of Evil – 7:07
- Death Metal 3:42
Side B – Metal
- Angels of Death – 3:21
- The Devil’s Legion – 4:07
- Steel Meets Steel – 3:55
- Skullcrusher II – 3:46
- Witch Hunt – 3:45
- Mighty Empress – 0:58
Total Playing Time – 42:15
Paul “Mo” Mahoney – Vocals
Nige Rockett – Vocals, Guitars
Jase Stallard – Bass
Steve Grice – Drums
Power From Hell Release Info
Label: Combat Records
Licensed From – Under One Flag
Copyright (c) – Under One Flag
Distributed By – Important Record Distributors, Inc.
Recorded At – AVM Studios
It’s time to lighten the mood on this blog, while still keeping it heavy! I’m talking about heavy-metal MEMES! Here are the top 12 that we know of right now! This post is constantly updated with the MEME pictures so check back once in a while!!
Like Funny Metal MEMES? Let’s get started at #1….
1. The Cannibal Corpse MEME
You have to have somewhat of a morbid sense of humor true appreciate that one but it gave me a laugh!
2. Death Metal Dating
3. Even Though Your Dad’s and Slayer: Your Teenage Daughter Still Thinks You Are Lame.
I absolutely love this one, The look on (Slayer Bassist / Vocalist) Tom Araya’s daughter’s face is priceless daughters is priceless. It’s no wonder this MEME made so many rounds on social media!
4. The Black Sabbath MEME
Black Sabbath while far from being in all unknown band never got the level of respect that the Beatles for Led Zeppelin I was being British rock royalty.
I doubt they care!
5. The Faces of Death Metal MEME
On this one, or you have to understand the reference. It is a lampoon on the documentary “Faces Of Meth” which chronicles what people look like before and after methamphetamine use. As you can see, death metal as a gateway drug to court paint and just for a less harmless.
6. Death Metal Gardening
7. Jeff Hanneman and Kerry King at McDonalds
8. Heavy Metal Politics Meme
9. Vic Rattlehead vs 5 Finger Fruitpunch
10. The Metallica “St. Anger Drum Sound” MEME
11. King Diamond Nuns Have No Fun
12. Megadeth Fans vs Metallica Fans vs Iron Maiden Fans
I had to include this one just because you know it is true!!
That’s All For Now
Sometimes it’s tough to be brutal when your mom wants you to work in the yard! You might smear your corpse paint!
That’s all for now, check back later when we publish our next list.
Inked In Blood One Of The Best Newer Obituary Releases
Inked in Blood is the ninth studio album by American death metal band Obituary. It was crowdfunded via Kickstarter and then released on October 28th, 2014 through Gibtown Music/Relapse Records. It is the first studio album with bassist Terry Butler and lead guitarist Kenny Andrews, making this the first Obituary album not to feature Frank Watkins on bass since 1989‘s Slowly We Rot. A deluxe edition of the album was also released containing two bonus tracks. It is their first album to appear on the Billboard 200 chart, selling 5,200 copies in its first week and peaking at 79
All lyrics written by John Tardy; all music composed by Trevor Peres and Donald Tardy.
No. Title Length
1. “Centuries of Lies” 2:08
2. “Violent by Nature” 4:33
3. “Pain Inside” 4:36
4. “Visions in My Head” 4:14
5. “Back on Top” 4:30
6. “Violence” 2:06
7. “Inked in Blood” 4:13
8. “Deny You” 4:49
9. “Within a Dying Breed” 5:36
10. “Minds of the World” 3:24
11. “Out of Blood” 3:19
12 .”Paralyzed with Fear” 5:38
Total length: 49:11 (SOURCE WIKIPEDIA)