Everything You Wanted To Know About Whiplash But Were Afraid To Ask….
Whiplash was for sure one of those metal bands that should have been bigger. Instead, the band still plays shows from time to time.
- All three members of the classic lineup were named “Tony.”
- Drummer Tony Scaglione was in Slayer briefly. If you blinked, you might have missed it. He didn’t record with the band.
- Bassist Tony Bono died at 38 years old due to a heart attack.
- Peter Steele from Carnivore / Type O Negative did backing vocals on this album.
- Singer/guitarist Tony Portaro can read music (not just tablature)
Whiplash: One of The Most Underrated Trash Bands Of All Time – Listen Here:
Power and Pain is the debut album from New Jersey thrash metal band, Whiplash. It was released in 1986 on Roadrunner Records and was followed up by 1987’s Ticket to Mayhem.
In 1998, Displeased Records reissued Power and Pain, including their second album, Ticket to Mayhem.
The album features New York City bands Carnivore and Agnostic Front on backing vocals.
Tony Portaro wrote all songs. Except where noted.
Title / Length
1. “Stage Dive” 3:09
2 .”Red Bomb” 5:18
3. “Last Man Alive” 3:31
4. “Message in Blood”4:04
5. “War Monger” 3:18
6. “Power Thrashing Death” 4:13
7. “Stirring the Cauldron (lyrics and music by Tony Portaro, Tony Scaglione, and Tony Bono)” 4:18
8. “Spit on Your Grave” 2:49
9. “Nailed to the Cross” 4:05
Total length: 34:45
Best Track: “The Burning Of Atlanta”
Even though Power and Pain may be the album they are best known for the follow-up “Ticket To Mayhem” had my favorite track “The Burning Of Atlanta“.
Wan Learn To Play Burning Of Atlanta?
In case you were really impressed by “The Burning Of Atlanta” learn to play the song right from Tony Portaro on his youtube channel where he gives the occasional guitar lesson.
Tony Portaro – vocals, guitar
Tony Bono – bass
Tony Scaglione – drums
Peter Steele and Louie Beateaux (Carnivore) – backing vocals
Vinnie Stigma and Rob Kabula (Agnostic Front) – backing vocals
Recorded at Systems II, Brooklyn, New York, USA
Produced by Norman Dunn / Engineered by Michael Marciano
You must be logged in to post a comment.