I searched my inventory and pulled everything in my collection with a value above 200 dollars — hence, the strange number of 14 items in this list. In the video in this post, you can see the walk-thru of my top picks. In addition, I included a list below with pictures and comments on each record and approximate value.
Most of the 14 vinyl that made this list are either metal or punk; however, there were a few oddballs from different genres.
The Truth About Discogs Median Value
I did not look at the Discog’s median value and accept it as gospel. It’s true, Discogs is one of the seven wonders of the internet; however, just going on median value is very deceptive, and here’s why:
- Discogs calculates value based on the album’s limited sales on Discogs. If an album is ordinarily worth $100 and somebody sells a fair copy with no cover for $5, this sale is factored in and drags the price down. Conversely, if someone sells an album sealed or autographed copy for far more, it will skew the median up. However, copies are more often sold in poor condition, so that the value will typically skew lower.
- Much of the Discogs data is old. Discogs is a big market for vinyl, but it is nowhere near the size of eBay. Therefore, a lot of the information it uses to calculate the value of an album can be as much as 21 years old and based on only a limited number of sales. As we all know, albums appreciate, inflation is real, and the vinyl market changes. None of this is factored into the Discogs median value.
- Most sellers on Discogs are not in the United States. Since the site’s algorithm is not very sophisticated, it is easy to game the rankings by inflating shipping costs. If you are in the US, try to buy an album for even close to the listed median value listed – 99% of the time you can’t!
List of Our 14 Most Expensive Punk and Metal Vinyl LPS
Here is the list of the 14 punk/metal vinyl albums from the video at the top of this post. I included the price and a couple of random notes about each.
1. She Wants Revenge – She Wants Revenge LP 2006 Flawless Records B000614801
I’m not exactly sure why this one is worth so much. Even copies in crappy condition seem to be going for $600. Copies of this album in excellent condition go for $1000 and sometimes higher. If anyone knows why this one is so pricey, please leave some info in the comments because I can’t figure it out.
Value: $1000 USD
2. Descendents – Cool To Be You LP 2004 Fat Wreck Chords FAT672-1 Blue Vinyl
This usually isn’t a super expensive album, but the limited first pressing on blue vinyl is worth a pretty penny.
VALUE $600 USD
3. Danzig – Danzig 4P LP 1994 American Recordings – 9 45647-1
This album usually sells for around $300. This copy was owned personally by Glenn Danzig and is factory sealed.
VALUE $600 USD
4. Rich Kids On LSD – Rock N Roll Nightmare LP 1987 Alchemy VM104
I usually don’t include autographed albums because it is such a subjective value. Even unsigned, this album is $300-$400 if the comic book is included and in good condition. However, I included this one with the autographs because everyone in this band is pretty much dead.
VALUE $500 USD
5. Pantera – Power Metal LP 1988 Metal Magic Records – MMR-1988
According to the band, this album is completely out of print and will never be repressed or reissued, making original copies worth a ton. Despite the corny hair metal image, “Power Metal” is a solid album that rivals some of the band’s later output.
VALUE $400 USD
6. Verbal Abuse – Just An American Band LP 1984 Fowl Records – #5
Punk/hardcore done to perfection. You know you are doing something right if Slayer does a cover album (Undisputed Attitude) featuring six songs from this alum. There are many bootlegs and represses of this album. First pressing like this are extremely rare.
7. Queens Of The Stone Age – Queens Of The Stone Age LP 2010 Rekords Rekords
This is another one that caught me off guard because this pressing is a 2010 reissue of 1998 debut with a different cover. Original presses go for over a thousand dollars, and the represses are not cheap either.
VALUE $300 USD
8. Samhain – November-Coming-Fire LP 1986 Plan 9 – PL9-07
Probably my favorite album Danzig ever recorded and one of the many featuring his vocals to make this list.
VALUE $275 USD
9. Danzig – Thrall-Demonsweatlive LP [Picture Disc] 1993 Def American – 514 876-1
Unlike the Samhain album listed at #8, this is from my least favorite techno/electronic period of Glenn Danzig’s career. Even so, these limited edition picture discs are worth a pretty penny, and people seem to buy them.
VALUE $250 USD
10. Carnivore – Retaliation LP 1987 Roadracer Records – RR 9597
Probably one of my favorite metal albums of all time – Carnivore’s “Retaliation” still stands up to this day, yet could have never come out in today’s politically correct “woke” climate. But, like virtually everything after the death of Peter Steele in 2010 – the value has gone up dramatically.
VALUE $250 USD
11. Sodom – Obsessed By Cruelty LP 2016 Wax Maniax – WM55029
A 2016 reissue of Sodom’s first LP from their wave black metal period, Obsessed By Cruelty, is surprisingly pricey and simultaneously loved and hated by metal fans.
VALUE $250 USD
12. Misfits – Earth A.D. / Wolfsblood LP 1984 Aggressive Rockproduktionen – AG 0024
Original German press with inner sleeve and order form.
VALUE $240 USD
13. Exhorder – Slaughter In The Vatican LP 1990 Roadracer RO 9363-1
This absolutely brutal thrash metal album came out a bit late in 1990 but still holds up to this day. After taking 30 years off, Exhorder returned in 2019 and still tours to this day.
VALUE $230 USD
14. Death – Scream Bloody Gore LP 1987 Under One Flag – FLAG 12
VALUE $200 USD
Do You Have Albums Like This You Want to Sell?
I am always looking to buy new heavy metal and punk rock records, vinyl, and CD collections and I pay top. dollar for great collections like this. If you have metal or punk vinyl like this to sell, contact me at the info listed below.