After Iced Earth guitarist/songwriter Jon Schaffer was arrested for participating in the 1/6/2021 storming of the U.S. Capitol, he seems to have been dropped from the Century Media roster. All mentions of Iced Earth / Demon & Wizards are now removed from the Century Media artist roster. While the label hasn’t said anything publicly, it’s pretty clear what has happened. Ariel Pink was dropped this week from Mexican Summer records for attending the Trump’s rally, but not participating in the capitol building’s storming.
Schaffer faces six charges including:
- Engaging in the act of physical violence in a Capitol building,
- Knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority,
- Disrupting the orderly conduct of government business,
- Violent entry and disorderly conduct in a Capitol building,
- Engaging in an act of physical violence in a Capitol building, and
- Demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building.
Allegedly, he was brandishing bear mace which was used against capitol police.
Members of Iced Earth are distancing themselves from Schaffer. They posted on Instagram to denounce the raid on the capitol:
“We want to thank those of you who have sent words of support in recent days,” they wrote on Sunday (Jan. 10) in a post shared on bassist Luke Appleton and singer Stu Block’s Instagram pages. “Some of you have been concerned by our silence, which we understand. We needed some time to properly process the information and find out some facts before we made a statement.”
Regardless of where you stand on this debate, it seems Jon Schaffer has been canceled!